Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

I'm a Perfectionist: Pro or Con?

This i know for sure about myself. I am a perfectionist. I like things just being as perfect as i envision them to be in my mind. When designing the layout of this blog, i already pictured what i wanted it to look like in my mind and i obsessed over all the details until it looked just right.
Then came the time to write my first post and i started obsessing all over again. I haven't really written anything like this before and i wanted the blog to have the  right tone and get my messages across in the way i envisioned. I obsessed almost up to the point where i almost didn't write anymore which led me to this post about perfectionism. 

Being a perfectionist is meant to be a good quality but then how true is that? The phrase 'too much of everything is not good' comes to mind at this time and how there has to be a balance to everything in life. 

Is being a perfectionist a good quality if it stops or hinders you from doing things because it just won't be as perfect as you want it to be. There are times i want to do something and then because I'm missing a little part of what i need (which probably wont make that much of a difference), i shelve it and don't bother rather than making do because then it wont be perfect. Sometimes i spend lots of time driving around in search of the perfect brand of an item wasting valuable time when the other brands i have come across while hunting for the perfect brand would have sufficed. I use only certain brands and shop only in certain places because i believe that's the best and then anytime i have to settle for something else I'm upset because in my mind whatever it is i was trying to achieve isn't perfect anymore and even when i get complimented i still think its not up to the standard i have set for myself.  

Being a perfectionist on the other hand could be a good thing in that you have a good work ethic and take such pride in what you do that your clients or your boss, whatever the case may be can be rest assured that you would always deliver the best you can and even go above and beyond what is required of you. 
I remember when i was working within investment banking in the City of London, my portfolio was always used as a benchmark for the rest of my colleagues because my work was always done properly and i always had the fewest exceptions. Even the exceptions i inherited, i resolved. I was always given the most sensitive accounts to handle and therefore my portfolio was the most valuable and sensitive. I was the one that was always called upon by other stake-holders and colleagues outside my company when they had issues with my work colleagues.
And now in my business, i always make sure i deliver only the best that i can possibly deliver (driving the people that work for me crazy in the process). I pay attention to all the little details.

So what do you guys think? I think there has to be a good balance as with everything else in life. And i am therefore going to make it point not to obsess over things as much as i do especially when it doesn't really matter!

Perfectionist, Pro or Con? Please leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. This is really something to think about...sometimes its totally necessary to be perfect at what you do, like delivering a service or producing something. But when it comes to matters like making sure the bread is sliced in a perfect straight line (with a bread knife) hmmmm is sometimes unnecessary well only if you re serving the queen loll..Nice post! looking fwd to reading more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post for a first timer, it reads like pro. I guess your perfectionist attributes contributed to this, keep up the good work. For me there has to be a balance in whatever people do. There is no harm in trying to score a 100% all the time, as you will either hit your target or a mark very close to your Target.
    Red Flag:
    1.Be mindfull of over driving your staff crazy, they will get burnt out after awhile.
    2.Relax and enjoy life,try new things, new brands, you never know, this brand might be better than what you are use to, am sure you got this current brand by trying it one day.
    3. Live your life, don't make things, situations or what you do determine your feeling good. They are only there for our enjoyment and pleasure.
    4.Enjoy your results they will only get better.

    Regards
    J
    One life,live it to the fullest

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails